Saturday, December 21, 2013

Wild Wild West

So after saying I wasn't going to, I have now about turned and decided to buy myself a gun......

I know, I know....but it's not for self-defence which is the usual spiel we tend to hear over here.  Really it's just another hobby and something I can do on the weekend (we have a range a couple of miles down the road from the house).

So having decided to buy a gun there followed extensive google-based research!  I finally decided to get a .17HMR.  It's a rifle, and is essentially a more modern version of a .22 which lots of people use in both the US and UK for hunting rabbits, squirrels etc.  It is also the smallest caliber (except for air rifles) that you can use in competition.  It uses a bolt action, which means one shot at a time.

After settling on a gun it was time to go and buy one!  As it happens there are hundreds of places that will sell you a gun in Houston (officially they're called FFL's - Federal Firearms Licensee's).  You can also buy guns privately at shows, online or through friends in the state of Texas.  I decided to keep things legit and so visited one of the very large retailers by our work (Gander Mountain).  I figured by doing this I would be assured of not having dodged anything important.  Once you have selected your gun with a salesperson's help it was time to set about what I thought for sure would be the arduous job of filling in forms......how wrong was I!

Firstly I had to show my ID (newly acquired temporary Texas Drivers License ticked that box).  I then had to complete an online version of Form 4473 for the ATF (Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms Agency).  It's worth checking out that form because it's the ONLY form that has to be completed.  That's right - the ONLY form; no licence, no registration of firearm serial numbers, no monitoring, not really any screening - basically if you've never been convicted of some serious crime, you have a drivers license and can afford it, someone will sell you a gun!  Essentially it's up to you to be honest when filling it in - though they do make you sign a scary looking disclaimer about not lying on the form under penalty of imprisonment!

After completing the form they do a criminal background check via the FBI's instant check system.  Since I am an alien my background check was delayed by 24 hours.  As a normal American citizen this doesn't usually happen.  The only other hoop that I had to jump through that an American citizen wouldn't normally was presenting my Texas Parks and Wildlife Department issued hunting license.  This is something I bought a month or two ago and is required to fish or hunt.  As an alien you're not generally allowed to posses a firearm unless you are in possession of a valid hunting license.  A strange loophole I know, but a loophole none the less.

So 24 hours after selecting a gun and filling in the paperwork I now have it in my living room and plan to sight it in tomorrow at the range:


Update - took it out for the first shoot today (Saturday).  Took about 5 rounds to get it sighted in well enough to hit the targets at 50 yards (they're roughly A3 sized).  After another 10 rounds or so the point of impact was steadily walking closer to the bullseye.  By the end of the morning, 50 rounds and a clean the barrel is fully broken in and it's reliably hitting within 1/2 and inch of the bullseye every shot.  Next week I'll drag Matt out as a spotter and we'll try to get it dialled in at 100 and 200 yards.  It is a lot of fun and I can see some friendly competition between me and Laura!

No comments:

Post a Comment